Naming of Port FairyPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the naming of the district.
There is conjecture about the date of the first European visit to the district now know as Port Fairy.
William Earl, in "Earl`s Port Fairy" 1869 stated that the area was name by Captain James Wishart, who sailed into the bay and river in his cutter "Fairy" in search of fresh water in 1810.
This is now discounted. J.W. Powling, in "Port Fairy - The First Fifty Years" (1980), states that the dates was more likely to have been 1827-28, but he also believed it was Wishart in the "Fairy" who named the district
|Address:||Cox Street, Port Fairy, 3284|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.38|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.