Pioneer MemorialPrint Page
An obelisk commemorates Murtoa district pioneers.
The first European in the area was Major Mitchell on his excursion to `Australia Felix` in 1836. Squatters established the `Ashens` and `Longerenong` runs in 1844. The latter property was acquired, in 1862, by politician, philanthropist and pastoralist Sir Samuel Wilson who was elected to the British House of Commons in 1886. Wilson owned all of the land around Lake Marma by 1871.
That year a station hand at `Longerenong` pegged out the first freehold block on the eastern side of the lake. As was the case throughout western Victoria, closer settlement began with German wheat-farmers from Mount Gambier investigating the land across the border and taking up selections. Thus a party of Germans arrived at the lake in 1871. Finding the soil fertile they pegged out claims, finished up their business at Mount Gambier and returned to Marma Gully in 1872.
|Address:||Marma & Cromie Streets, Murtoa, 3390|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.620088|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1972|
Dedicated to the memory of Murtoa and District pioneers