Pioneer Women`s MemorialPrint Page
Hugh Linaker’s memorial garden is set in a circular depression, with a high wall of rough masonry covering the cutting at its southern end. This formal, symmetrical garden is traversed by a watercourse in the shape of a cross, which flows into a grotto carved into the cutting. Built into the grotto is a half-cupola lined with blue tiles, under which stands the small bronze statue of a woman by the sculptor Charles Web Gilbert.
In 1933, The Women’s Centenary Council was formed in an attempt to give the women of the state an influential role in the celebrations. At its first meeting, this council pledged to erect a suitable memorial to Victoria’s pioneer women, and fundraising initiatives were established with the aim of developing a garden of remembrance in Kings Domain.
The council’s initiatives included the sale of a commemorative book and ‘sheets of remembrance’ onto which anyone, for one shilling, could inscribe their own name, or that of an ancestor. This was very successful and thousands of names were gathered and then buried beneath the sundial in the garden. The work was carried out under the auspices of the Unemployment Relief Program during the Depression.
Two plaques are set one on each side. One honours the memory of pioneer women of Victoria at the 100th anniversary of Victoria 1834-1934, dedicated by the Women`s Centenary Council, unveiled June 1935.
The second plaque indicates the garden was erected to the pioneer women on 24 November 1934 by Premier, Sir Stanley Seymour Argyle. The plaque was unveiled by Lady Huntingfield on 8 June 1935. There is a tree planted by the Quota Club of Melbourne in 1960 and a casket containing sheets of remembrance to the pioneer women also buried here.
|Address:||St Kilda Road, Kings Domain, Pioneer Women`s Memorial Garden, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.825182|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Hugh Linaker / Charles Web Gilbert|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th November, 1934|
To honour the memory of the pioneer women of Victoria.
This garden was dedicated by the Womens Centenary Council through public subscription on the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the state. 1834 - 1934.
Unveiled June 8th 1935 by Mrs. I. H. Moss. O.B.E., J.P. Preseindet
Centenary of Victoria , 1934
This garden was dedicated to the pioneer women of Vicotira on November, 24th 1934 by SIr Stanley Argyle K.B.E., M.R.C.S., M.L.A. Premier of Victoria unveiled 8th June, 1935 by Lady Huntingfield wife of the Governor of Victoria
Plaque on sundial
This base holds the casket containing the sheets of remembrance to the pioneer women of Victoria 1834 - 1934