Pioneer MemorialPrint Page
A cairn commemorates the pioneers of Katamatite.
The first European man to visit the area was Edward Knull who took up the `Tallygaroopna` run in 1841. It was on this land that Katamatite would develop. An early survey noted that the land was `moderately covered with box and pine trees together with prickly scrub`.
A subdivision saw the future townsite become part of the `Katandra` run in 1848. However, at that stage there was probably just a lone shepherd in occupation. The land was surveyed in 1874 and opened up for subdivision. Settlers (mostly wheat farmers) began to arrive in 1876
|Address:||Benalla - Tocumwal Road, C. W. Wood Park, Katamatite, 3649|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.076232|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In memory of the pioneers and to commemorate the centenary of Katamatite 1876 to 1976