www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Black - Allan LinePrint Page Print this page

19-December-2014
19-December-2014

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

Monument, unveiled as part of Victoria's 150th anniversary celebrations, commemorates the original border survey by Alexander Black and Alexander Allan in 1870-1872. 

The Black Allan Line is the straight piece of the New South Wales and Victorian Borders and was named after the two surveyors that undertook the mission to map the line from the Cape Howe to the nearest source of the Murray River. The Black Allan Line is made up of a series of cairns and other survey marks, including trenches and the line cleared, some of which is no longer visible.

Location

Address:Princes Highway, NSW-Victoria Border, Genoa, 3891
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.389017
Long: 149.677474
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 12th September, 1985
Front Inscription
THIS MONUMENT COMMEMORATES THE ORIGINAL BORDER SURVEY BY SURVEYORS ALEXANDER BLACK AND ALEXANDER C.ALLEN IN 1870-1872.

THIS POINT ON THE BLACK-ALLEN LINE WAS RE-ESTABLISHED BY THR RMIT SURVEYING DEPARTMENT IN DECEMBER 1984 WITH THE SUPPORT OF THE INSTITUTION OF SURVEYORS, AUSTRALIA.

THE MONUMENT WAS UNVEILED BY THE HON. A. McCUTCHEON, MINISTER FOR PROPERTY AND SERVICES (VICTORIA) AND THE HON. J.A.CROSIO, MINISTER FOR NATURAL RESOURCES (NEW SOUTH WALES) ON 12TH SEPTEMBER 1985 AS PART OF VICTORIA'S 150TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS.

THE WAYSIDE STOP WAS CONSTRUCTED BY THE ROAD CONSTRUCTION AUTHORITY, VICTORIA AND THE DEPARTMENT OF MAIN ROADS, NEW SOUTH WALES. 
Source: VMR, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design