Edward HentyPrint Page
Marks the site of Henty`s "Muntham" station.
Edward Henty, the founder of Victorian settlement, was born at West Tarring, in Sussex, 1809. He came to Van Diemen`s Land with his father Thomas in 1832, landed in Portland Bay November 19, 1834. Pushed inland from Portland about September 1836 with Stephen and established a sheep station at Mt. Eckersley.
From this point the Henty brothers (without Edward) proceeded the following year to the Wannon. Edward was the owner of Connell`s Run from 1844 to 1866, and Richmond 1866 to 1879. In 1854 he left Muntham and retired to Portland, building the Burswood residence. He was elected to the Legislative Assembly in 1856 for the Normanby constituency, and remained in Parliament till 1861. About 1873 he left Portland and resided in St. Kilda Road, where he died August 14, 1878.
|Address:||Casterton Road (Glenelg Hihway), Muntham Hill, Muntham, 3315|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.579188|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1970|
"Throwing up their hats with a cheer they put their horses to the gallop and set off for the stations across the plains." (Extract from Henty Diary)
The view you behold consists of `Muntham` established 1838, the original property of Edward Henty. Area 77,000 acres, carried 55,000 sheep, 8000 cattle and 500 horses, staff 50 employees including 20 shepherds, 12 hutkeepers and blacksmith.
Edward (1810-78) Victoria`s first permanent settler arrived in Portland Bay 19th November 1834,six months prior to John Batman at Port Phillip. Married Anna Maria Gallie on October 16th 1840. Died without issue.
Being pioneers in small communities, their lives were interwoven with events of the day and are part of Australia`s history.