Pioneers of BeaufortPrint Page
A monument commemorates the pioneers of Beaufort.
Early settlers in the area were the Kirkland Brothers and a Mr. Hamilton; the latter took up Trawalla Station in 1838. The station was taken over by Adolphus Goldsmith in 1841 and he developed the property into a rich grazing enterprise. Lake Goldsmith was named after him.
Gold was discovered in 1852, with another gold rush from 1854 at nearby Fiery Creek. The Fiery Creek diggings supported four townships, Beaufort, Yam Holes Creek, View Point and Southern Cross, during the 1850s.
|Address:||Livingstone & Willoby Streets, Ripon Beaufort RSL Memorial Garden, Beaufort, 3373|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.428627|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 27th January, 1985|
A tribute to the Pioneers of Beaufort.
Erected by Ripon Historical Society 1984. Victorian 150th Anniversary.
This stone was unveiled on January 27th 1985 by H. V. Martin