Pioneer Settlers of the HawkesburyPrint Page
The monument commemorates the first 22 pioneer families who settled in the Hawkesbury and was unveiled during the 200th anniversary.
The Hawkesbury settlement dates back to 1794 — 138 years ago — when Lieutenant-Governor Grose, of the New South Wales Corps, then Acting - Governor, marked out twenty-two farms and settled them on the right bank of the Hawkesbury. These farms comprised about 25 acres each,. They were located on that portion of the river bank known as Pitt Reach, and others on South Creek, which more or less occupied that portion, of the river known as Wilberforce Reach. These were the first farms in the locality of the Hawkesbury, and the names of the settlers were Giles Moore, Daniel Barnett, William Pawson and J. Butler. These occupied the site on South Creek: J. Howell, J. Rouse, C. Williams, J. Wimbon, W. Snailham, J. Acris, W. Douglas, J. Wright, J. Fenlow, Peter Bond, J. Owen, E. Cunningham, R. Davis, J. Roberts, Thos. Saunders, J. Webb, J. Welshard and Thos. Cadwell. In 1821 the original grantees still occupied these grants. These farms were settled early in the year 1794, and in August of the same year there were seventy settlers on the river; in June, 1795, the population totalled 400 persons.
Excerpt from the Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW)
25 November 1932.
|Address:||George Street, Governor Phillip Park, near boat ramp carpark, Windsor, 2756|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.600459|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1794|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1994|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 2nd October, 1994|
This memorial is dedicated by
the people of Hawkesbury
to the first 22 pioneer settlers
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR GROSE
placed on the banks of the Hawkesbury in 1794.
(names of settlers)
"They came to an unknown land and carved out an existence with handmade tools "
THE HON. KEVIN ROZZOLI M.P.
Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of N.S.W.
and Member for Hawkesbury.
2nd October 1994