Werris Creek 125th AnniversaryPrint Page
A tree commemorates the 125th Anniversary of Werris Creek and the railway.
The town proper developed in 1877 when 500 'navvies' set up temporary housing whilst extending the railway line from Murrurundi to Tamworth. When it was decided to build a branch line to Gunnedah (north-west) the town became a rail junction and a maintenance centre. A post office was established in 1877 and the railway was officially opened the following year. Even the coal mine, which commenced operations in 1925, revolved around the railways, being established to supply fuel for the steam engines although it was inevitably closed (in 1963) after diesel trains emerged.
|Address:||Werris Creek Road, Werris Creek, 2341|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.349444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 6th October, 2002|
THIS CRABAPPLE TREE Was Planted On The 6TH OCTOBER 2002 By TONY WINDSOR B.Ec. MP To Commemorate The 125TH ANNIVERSARY Of The WERRIS CREEK TOWN & RAILWAY