www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Milestone ObeliskPrint Page Print this page

13-April-2014
13-April-2014

Photographs supplied by Barry Slade

An obelisk erected by Governor Macquarie in 1811, marks the completion in ten weeks of the South Head Road, by the 21 soldiers of the 73rd Regiment.

Governor Lachlan Macquarie believed that making permanent roads and bridges was one of the first steps towards improving a new country.  As soon as the road to Parramatta was completed, Macquarie toured the colony. The Macquarie Obelisk in Railway Square, erected in 1818, marks the starting point from which all distances in the colony were measured . Old South Head Road (Now Oxford Street in places ) ran through Darlinghurst and Bondi Junction, terminating at Watson`s Bay.

Location

Address:Military Road, Robertson Park, Watsons Bay, 2030
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.843611
Long: 151.2825
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event STart Date:25-March-1811
Actual Event End Date:04-June-1811

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1830s
Front Inscription

This Road made
by Subscription
Was completed
in ten Weeks
from the 25 March 1811
by 21 Soldiers of His Majesty 73
Regiment.

Left Side Inscription
This Road made 
by Subscription 
Was completed 
in ten Weeks 
from the 25 March 1811 
by 21 Soldiers of His Majesty 73 
Regiment.
Back Inscription
VIII Miles
from Sydney
Right Side Inscription
VIII Miles
from Sydney
Source: MA,H,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design