Peter Pagan & William EvansPrint Page
Monument commemorates Peter Pagan & William Evans the first Europeans to settle this section of the Clarence River basin and settled Tabulam Station in 1840. The monument consists of a brass plaque mounted on one face and the restored original headstone of Peter Pagan inet into the other face. The monument was erected by Brigadier Sir John Pagan and his family and the West of the Range Historical Society in July 1982.
Peter Cunningham Pagan with his brother in law and partner William Tucker Evans were the first Europeans to settle this section of the Clarence river basin. They took up Tabulam station in 1840 when Messrs Clay & Stapleton (who later settled at Casino), failed to take possession within the time allotted to them. Pagan lost his life in an encounter with aborigines in 1841 and was buried near the Clarence river 2 kms northwest of the monument.
|Address:||Clarence Valley Way, 7km from Bruxner Highway, Tabulam, 2469|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.951111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||July-1982|