Putney First SettlementPrint Page
Plaque marks the site of first settlement in the locality in 1792. In the first 40 years of European settlement, much of Putney was owned by the Squire family who made their living producing and selling beer.
|Address:||Waterview Street, Settlers Park, Putney, 2112|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.823611|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1792|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1948|
This Is The Site Of The First Settlement On 10th January 1792 By William Careless And James Weavers In The Locality Set Up By Governor Phillip
As Farms Of The Eastern Boundary (Later Called Kissing Point) Where Rose Our First Church And School In 1800. Slightly Eastward Were Squires Famous Brewery, Wharf And Hop Gardens and Bennelong's Grave. Westwards Were Squires' Inn And Old Ryde Wharf As Well As The Shepherds 'Thorn Farm' And 'Hellene' With Noted Orangery And Vineyard.
This Tablet Commemorates Our Pioneers, "Decent, Sober, Industrious" Men Who Like Our Aboriginal Wallumedegal, Were A Most Bigoted Race Of People To The Ground On Which They Dwelt. Can We Be Otherwise?
E.L.S Hall Mayor
Ryde Municipal Council 1948