www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Explorers MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Explorers Memorial : 29-September-2012
Explorers Memorial : 29-September-2012

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson

Clock Memorial erected in 1938 by the citizens of Penrith to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the crossing of the Blue Mountains by Blaxland, Lawson & Wentworth and four servants in 1813. 

G.W Evans surveyed and William Cox constructed a road from the Nepean River to the Bathurst Plains beginning work on the 18th July 1814. A second plaque was erected by the Royal Australian and Nepean District Historical Society on the 16th November 1963 to record that Evans set out on the 20th November 1813 from near this spot and found a way across the Dividing Range to the Bathurst Plains and the Macquarie and Lachlan Rivers.

Next Saturday will be an important day in the history of Penrith, when his Excellency the Governor, Lord Wakehurst, will unveil the clock memorial in High Street, near the Log House, commemorating the crossing of the Mountains by Blaxland, Lawson, and Wentworth. The final arrangements for the ccremony are well in hand. It will be broadcast over the air from Station 2KA, "Voice of the Mountains," and both Cinesound and Fox Movietone News will film the ceremony. Owing to the large number, that have requested invitations, it will be a big problem to arrange accommodation, but it is hoped that everyone will be provided for. The Penrith Band will assemble at the Drill Hall, and march to the memorial, playing en route, and will play selections prior to the arrival of the Governor. The secretary (Mr E. F. Rule) requests that all attending the ceremony arrive at 2.30 p.m. to enable them to take up the seats allotted to them, and thus save any delay and possible confusion. The Returned Soldiers of the district are forming a guard of honour to his Excellency, on arrival. 
Nepean Times (Penrith, NSW), 8 September 1938.  

Location

Address:Memorial Avenue & Nepean Avenue, Penrith, 2750
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.748056
Long: 150.6825
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Clock
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:May-1813
Approx. Event End Date:May-1813

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 10th September, 1938
Front Inscription

Explorers Memorial 

To Commemorate The
First Crossing Of
The Blue Mountains
            By
Blaxland, Lawson,
    Wentworth
And Four Servants
  May, 1813.

After Further Expeditions
And Survey By
G. W. Evans And Party
A Road Was Constructed
From The Right Bank
Of The Nepean River
To The Bathurst Plains
          By
   William Cox  
July 16th 1814.

Plaque :

GEORGE WM. EVANS
Surveyor And Explorer,
Set Out From Near This
Spot 20th Nov. 1813 And
Found A Way Across The
Dividing Range.  
He Then Discovered The
Bathurst Plains And
Later The Macquarie
And Lachlan Rivers.

     Tribute By
Royal Australian And Nepean
District Historical Societies
16th Nov. 1963 

Left Side Inscription

This Memorial
Was Erected By
The Citizens Of Penrith

D. Fitch — Mayor
E. W. Orth, Town Clerk
10th September 1938

Right Side Inscription

This Memorial
Was Unveiled By
His Excellency
The Governor Of
New South Wales
The Lord Wakehurst
K.C.M.G.
on September 10th 1938

Source: MA,H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design