Parramatta Centennial Memorial ClockPrint Page
Clock and fountain commemorates the centenary of the settlement of Parramatta. It was erected in 1888 to commemorate the founding of the Colony.
The plaque also commemorates the Mayor, Charles J. Byrnes, and the names of the eleven aldermen in office at the time.
The good folks of the "ancient and historic borough of Parramatta" resolved to erect a memorial in their town to mark the centenary of the colony, of which Parramatta is the oldest town. This memorial took the shape of a " Centennial Fountain." The report of the memorial committee was brought up and adopted on November 30, 1887, the design chosen being that of Mr. H. Hallomby, architect, Sydney. The description of the memorial is as follows: It is about 33ft high, rests on a curvilinear square, with fountains for the use of the public at the sides of the square forming the base of the columns. Round this are Corinthian columns; and from these columns rise spires bearing lamps. Between these spires, and flanked by them, is a taller spire, borne on two pillars similar to those below. At the summit is a finial, consisting of a vane and a cross, and the points of the compass; while beneath is space for a clock, with four dial faces (not yet obtained). The probable cost is estimated at about £240. On the lower portion of the column is an inlaid tablet, with the following inscription :
Centennial Memorial, 1888, Borough of Parramatta. Mayor : Charles J. Byrnes, J.P. Aldermen : Hugh Taylor M.L.A., Joseph Booth, F. C. Cox, J.P., Frank Beames, J.P., W. J. Ferris, William Drew, Thomas Dixon, William Brodie, Laurence Tiernan, Thomas Moxham, James Dellow, Town surveyor: E. J. Love, Council clerk : Sydney Wickham.
A range of circular steps leads to the Centenial Fountain ; and the area is enclosed by a circular chain railing pendant from stone pillars. After some opposition to the project in the Parramatta Town Council, tenders were invited; the cost to come out of the premium obtained ( £600) on the £15,000 loan raised by the council some time previously. The tender of Messrs. Stenhouse and Mack, at about the amount named, was accepted. The foundation-stone was laid by the Mayor of Parramatta on January 26, 1888, in the presence of perhaps the largest gathering ever seen in Parramatta, and with great ceremony. The day was one of general rejoicing, not likely to be soon forgotten. It had been intended to formally open the Centennial Fountain on the same day as the Centennial Baths (situated near Lennox Bridge, George-street) ; but the idea was not carried out; and there has been no formal opening yet.
Australian Town and Country Journal (Sydney, NSW), 31 August 1889.
|Address:||Church & Macquarie Streets, Parramatta, 2150|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.815212|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr. H.H. Hallomby|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Stenhouse & Mack|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 26th January, 1888|