Pioneer MemorialPrint Page
Sculpture of a drover, his dog and a mob of sheep commemorates the early settlers of Nyngan. This memorial was erected by the McLaughlin family for the Bicentennial Year.
The first recorded European visitor to the region was Major Thomas Mitchell who led an expeditionary party that camped at the present site of Nyngan on 10 May 1835. Mitchell described the camping spot as a: ‘long pond with many birds, ducks and brolgas’.
It was almost fifty years before the construction of a railway line to Bourke provided the impetus for a township on the Bogan. Around 1882, residents of the small settlement of Canonba, some 30 kilometres north on the banks of Duck Creek, moved to establish a town by the railway and Nyngan came into being. A number of houses from the older settlement were dismantled and re-erected at Nyngan.
|Address:||Pangee & Ford Streets, Nyngan, 2825|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.558985|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Michael Carroll (Sculptor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st October, 1988|
THIS SCULPTURE COMMEMORATES
THE SETTLERS OF
NYNGAN ON THE BOGAN
unveiled 1 October 1988
artist michael carroll