Bounty DayPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the arrival of Pitcairn Islanders on Norfolk Island in 1856.
On 8 June 1856, the next settlement began on Norfolk Island. These were the descendants of Tahitians and the HMS Bounty mutineers, resettled from the Pitcairn Islands, which had become too small for their growing population. The British government had permitted the transfer of the Pitcairners to Norfolk, which was thus established as a colony separate from New South Wales but under the administration of that colony's governor. They left Pitcairn Islands on 3 May 1856 and arrived with 194 persons (40 men and 47 women, 54 boys and 53 girls) on 8 June.
The Pitcairners occupied many of the buildings remaining from the penal settlements, and gradually established their traditional farming and whaling industries on the island. Although some families decided to return to Pitcairn in 1858 and 1863, the island's population continued to slowly grow as the island accepted settlers, often arriving with whaling fleets.
|Address:||Pier Street , Pier Store, Kingston, Norfolk Island, 2899|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.057869|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event End Date:||08-June-1856|