Governor Arthur PhilipPrint Page
A monument commemorates Governor Arthur Phillip`s crossing of Narrabeen Lakes in August 1788.
A stone monument to commemorate the first crossing of the Narrabeen Lakes by Governor Phillip on August 22, 1788, has been erected in the grounds of the Narrabeen School by Mr James Booth, of Pittwater, and given by him to the Manly, Warringah and Pittwater Historical Society The unveiling ceremony was performed on Saturday by Mr W L Ross headmaster of the school and a vice-president of the society. Mr A G Priddle, chairman of the Narrabeen Parents and Citizens' Association presided at the outset, being followed by Captain M J Lowe, president of the Historical Society. Among the speakers were Councillor Shepherd, president of the Warringah Shire Council and Mr P W Gledhill, secretary of the society. Lieutenant-Commander Salter, RN, formerly of H.M.A.S. Sydney broke a flag which is a replica of the Union flag flown by Governor Phillip on the shores of Sydney Cove in 1788.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 19 September 1932.
|Address:||Pittwater Road, Narrabeen Public School, Narrabeen, 2101|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.720758|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||22-August-1788|
|Actual Event End Date:||22-August-1788|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th September, 1932|