Centenary of HentyPrint Page
An artillery gun was presented by the R.S.L. to commemorate the centenary of Henty.
The village of Henty was originally called 'Doodle Cooma'. Nearby wetlands are still called Doodle Cooma Swamp; they cover 20 square kilometres and are a breeding area for waterbirds.
The post office changed its name in 1886 as the railway station's name was thought to be confused with Cooma in the Monaro district. The town's new name was after the Henty family of Portland, Victoria and Launceston, Tasmania. Edward Henty had leased Round Hill station north of Gerogery (south of Henty) in the early 1860s.
|Address:||Keightley & Allan Streets, Henty Memorial Park, Henty, 2658|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.519621|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1886|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1986|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 30th March, 1986|
Presented to the town of Henty on the occassion of their centenary by the Henty Sub Branch R.S.L.
30. 3. 1986