Pioneer MonumentPrint Page
The Pioneer Monument commemorates the arrival of George Garlick Godwin and family as the first settlers of the district, and commemorates other settlers. The plaque was unveiled at the site of George Godwin's first home at the junction of Little and Mark Street during Forster's centenary celebrations in October 1963.
The monument has since been relocated to its present site.
Known as the pioneer of Forster, George Godwin left Kincumber, Brisbane Waters, in late 1862 with his wife Many Ann and their five children. They travelled by dray, pulled by six bullocks, with all their possessions, two saddle horses and five head of cattle. They used defined roads to Raymond Terrace, then Booral, and took off from the defined tracks to Bulahdelah.
From Bulahdelah, the family had to cut their own trail through virgin bush to Cape Hawke (Forster).
|Address:||Mackintosh & Stanley Streets, Forster, 2428|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.193447|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||January 1862|
|Approx. Event End Date:||January 1862|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 5th October, 1963|
TO COMMEMORATE THE ARRIVAL OF
THE FIRST SETTLERS TO THIS DISTRICT
GEORGE GARLICK GODWIN AND FAMILY
AND OTHER EARLY SETTLERS.
UNVEILED BY THE HON.C.A.KELLY M.L.A. CHIEF SECRETARY
MINISTER FOR TOURIST ACTIVITIES