www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Ebenezer Presbyterian Pioneer Families & 150th Anniversary of the ChurchPrint Page Print this page

Marble tablet erected in 1959 by the Moderator General of the Presbyterian Church commemorates the Ebenezer pioneering families and the 150th anniversary of the church. 

Ebenezer Church came Pioneer Owen Cavanough donated four acres of land on which to build the church. Andrew Johnston designed the church and supervised its construction. George Hall swam his bullocks across the river to haul the stone to the site. Built of locally obtained materials – sandstone, cedar wood and hardwood – it was constructed in 1809 following the arrival in the colony of New South Wales of eight families on board the ‘Coromandel’ in June 1802. These families – Davison, Hall, Howe, Johnston, Johnstone, Mein, Stubbs and Turnbull – came to the new colony with a request to be settled together.

They were joined by seven other families – Arndell, Bushell, Grono, Cavanough, Jacklin, Suddis and Jones – and met regularly on Sundays for services on Ebenezer Mount or in the homes of settlers.

Pioneer Owen Cavanough donated four acres of land on which to build the church. Andrew Johnston designed the church and supervised its construction. George Hall swam his bullocks across the river to haul the stone to the site. Built of locally obtained materials – sandstone, cedar wood and hardwood – it was constructed in 1809.

 

 

Location

Address:Coromandel Road, Presbyterian Church, Ebenezer, 2756
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.53644
Long: 150.89005
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1809
Approx. Event End Date:1959

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1959
Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design