Deniliquin ProclamationPrint Page
A monument in the the form of a brick fireplace commemorates the proclamation of the township of Deniliquin.
The centenary of Deniliquin's proclamation as a town—March 12, 1850—will be observed with the unveiling of a tablet in Waring Gardens at 3.30 o'clock next Sunday afternoon. The mayor (Ald J. P. Burchfield) will perform the ceremony, to which the public is invited. In order to avert the customary type of cold stone, the Municipal Council prepared a monument which will be of use the the community. A brick fireplace has been built near the small pagoda at the lagoon's edge, on the south-western side of the gardens. Appropriately worded the tablet is set into this. Explaining council's decision to erect a fireplace, the town clerk (Mr A. J. Chant) stated that the amenity, when completed and ready for use, would be of inestimable value to picnic parties, visitors and country people who usually lunched in the gardens. "Council feels that in following this course due tribute is being paid to the importance of the occasion, while something of use is being set down for the present and future generations," Mr Chant added. The Municipal Band will render a short musical program during the function.
Riverine Herald (Echuca, Vic. : Moama, NSW), 10 March 1950.
|Address:||Cressy Street, Waring Gardens, Deniliquin, 2710|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.529489|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||12-March-1850|
|Actual Event End Date:||12-March-1850|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 12th March, 1950|
The Township Of Deniliquin
On The 12th March 1850
The Deniliquin Municipal Council
12th March 1950
J. P. BURCHFIELD, Mayor