Cowra Migrant CampPrint Page
A monument commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Cowra Migrant Camp which commenced in 1949.
After World War Two, the former military camp became home to 17,000 new Australians.
|Address:||Mid Western Highway , Europa Park, Cowra, 2794|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.829673|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st May, 1999|
COWRA SHIRE COUNCIL.
FOREST OF HOPE
This plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Cowra Migrant Camp
In 1949 the first European migrants arrived in Cowra and occupied the buildings which had been the Army Base in the large block of land between the highway and Darby’s Falls Road. These migrants had arrived from war-torn Europe on assisted passage, most with only a few belongings in battered suitcases. There were in the camp over three thousand people at any one time from many European countries. The men were contracted to work for two years on government projects. The women and children stayed in the camp. Very few could speak English.
‘We came from afar to build a new home.’
This plaque was unveiled by:
AVM Hans Roser (Germany)
Paul Couvert OAM (Holland)
Mrs Allede Lass (Estonia)
In the presence of:
B.B. Miller Mayor
Alby Schultz Member for Hume
Russell Turner Member for Orange
1st May 1999