Castlereagh SettlementPrint Page
Memorial to the original selection for the site of Castlereagh by Governor Macquarie.
This suburb is one of the most historic sites in Australia's history, being one of Governor Lachlan Macquarie's five towns founded in 1810.
Saturday was a day of much historical importance to Castlereagh, when an obelisk commemorating the siting of the town by Governor Macquarie in 1810 was unveiled by Ald. T. R. R. Smith, before a good attendance of residents and visitors. A very interesting historical address was given by Mr. J. K. Houison, president of the Royal Australian Historical Society, who stated that some historians considered that Macquarie was the greatest of the Governors. Castlereagh is one of what are known of the "Five Macquarie towns." Others are Windsor, Richmond, Pitt Town, and Wilberforce. The stone obelisk has been erected immediately in front of Castlereagh Hall, formerly the council chambers, and bears a tablet indicating its purpose.
Nepean Times (Penrith, NSW), 12 April 1951.
|Address:||Castlereagh Road , Smith Park, Castlereagh, 2749|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.670372|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th April, 1951|