Campbelltown ProclamationPrint Page
Watering trough and hitching post erected by James Bocking, Mayor to commemorate the proclamation of the Municipality of Campbelltown in 1882.
The area of Campbelltown was first visited by Governor Hunter in 1795, and was explored by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. On 1 December 1820, Governor Macquarie named the area Campbell Town in honour of his wife’s maiden name, with the area later being known simply as Campbelltown.
In 1882, the area was officially proclaimed as the Municipal District of Campbelltown by the Governor of NSW. Nine Aldermen were elected, with John Ahearn elected the first Mayor of Campbelltown.
The Municipal District of Ingleburn was proclaimed in 1896.
In 1948 Campbelltown and Ingleburn were joined into one common council (including part of the Nepean Shire) and became known as the Amalgamated Municipality of Campbelltown.
|Address:||Queen Street, Civic Centre, Campbelltown, 2560|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.063789|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1882|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1882|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1890|