Pioneer Memorial Print Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A monument commemorates the pioneers of the Weethalle District. The monument was unveiled during the 50th anniversary celebrations. 

The Weethalle area was set aside as homestead farms for returned soldiers in 1921. The Rankins Springs railway line was extended to Weethalle in 1922. Land clearing commenced and by 1923 the first wheat from the area was delivered to the Weethalle railway station.

By 1924, a site was surveyed for a village to service the surrounding farms with town allotment sales taking place the following year.  A "skeleton" town was in existence by 1926, with "buildings in all states of construction" and "built mostly of wood".  In the same year, a provisional school was established along with a branch of the Commercial banking Company of Sydney. 



Address:Railway Street (Mid Western Highway), Weethalle, 2669
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.875496
Long: 146.625956
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.

Warning: Use of undefined constant monument_gps_latitude - assumed 'monument_gps_latitude' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/monument/public_html/monument_display.php on line 141

Warning: Use of undefined constant monument_gps_longitude - assumed 'monument_gps_longitude' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/monument/public_html/monument_display.php on line 141
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1924
Approx. Event End Date:1974


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 16th August, 1974
Front Inscription

50th Year Celebrations
    1924 - 1974
In Commemoration Of
The Pioneers Of The District
      Opened By
Mr. E. Bedford, M.L.A.
      Of Fairfield
On 16th August, 1974.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design