Centenary of First SettlementPrint Page
A garden commemorates the centenary of the arrival of the first settlers in the Yinnar District.
Yinnar began its life as a part of Scrubby Forest Station at Middle Creek, which as its name implies, was pretty heavily wooded. Its southern section was quite mountainous, so its area of practical use was estimated as ten square miles. The first holders were Nicol Brown and Billy Hillier. Eventually they divided the station into two with Middle Creek being the line of division, Brown taking the western half and Hillier the eastern half. Billy's Creek was named after Billy Hillier. They held their leases from 1848 to 1868. George Firmin arrived at Middle Creek in 1874 and took over Scrubby Forest West, which he divided into what was known as the Scrubby Forest Run. Due to this the Firmin family are said to be the first settlers of Yinnar. Other early selectors on Scrubby Forest Run were Henry Wicks and John Quigley. In 1885 George Firmin handed the license back to the Government so the farming areas were made available to selectors. The town was surveyed in May 1885 and two months later one hundred allotments were auctioned to selectors at the offices of Mr Wicks' agents. The area called Middle Creek and Scrubby Forest became known as Yinnar in 1879.
|Address:||Main Street, Centenary Garden, Yinnar, 3869|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.320184|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1874|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1974|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 10th March, 1974|
1874 YINNAR 1974
These Gardens Were Officially Opened By
William C. Welsh Esq., J.P.
On March 10th 1974
To Commemorate The Centenary Of The Arrival Of
The First Settlers In The Yinnar District
[ Names ]
The Committee Received Magnificent Support
From The Entire Community
As Part Of The Centenary Celebrations
The Adjacent Row Of Claret Ash Trees
Were Planted By :
[ Names ]