Bicentennial GardensPrint Page
The plaque recognises that the five year project was made possible by funding from various national, state and local Bicentennial authorities, as well as the “extraordinary honorary and voluntary efforts and fundraising by the Bombala community”.
The opening itself was no small affair, with a special feature being the “world inaugural” performance of the Bombala symphonic composition, ‘High Country’. This was conducted by the composer Ralph Hultgren and performed by the Bombala CAP Community Band, which was in fact what made it such an important first. No other school and community group in Australia had ever had a symphonic piece commissioned for them as ‘High Country’ had been for the local band by the Bombala Bicentennial Committee.
The bicentenary of Australia was celebrated in 1988. It marked 200 years since the arrival of the First Fleet of British convict ships at Sydney in 1788. The Australian Bicentennial Authority (ABA) pursuant to the Australian Bicentennial Authority Act 1980,was set up to plan, fund and coordinate projects that emphasized the nation's cultural heritage. 1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia.
|Address:||Mahratta Street, Bombala, 2632|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.909424|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 6th November, 1988|
This plaque commemorates the Bicentenary of Australia in the Bombala Shire by the planting and construction of these Bombala River Bicentennial Botanical Gardens, walkway and stepping stones erected in conjunction by the Bombala Shire Bicentennial Community Committee, the Bombala Shire Council, the Service Clubs and the Bombala Community.
This five year project was made possible by funding from the Australian Bicentennial Authority, the New South Wales Bicentennial Council, the Bombala Shire Council and the extraordinary honorary and voluntary efforts and fundraising by the Bombala Community.
Officially opened by Russell H.L.Smith, M.L.A.
on Sunday, 6th November, 1988.
Stuart Hood, Shire President
Robert de Fegerty, Project Director
Margules and Assoc., Architects
Tony Garnock, Chairman
Barry Wildman, Hon. Secretary
Stewart Lee, Hon. Treasurer