www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneer MemorialPrint Page Print this page

24-February-2015
24-February-2015
Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson
A plaque commemorates the pioneers of Port Fairy since 1810.

In the early 19th century whalers and seal hunters used the coast in this region. The bay was named by the crew of the whaler The Fairy in 1828.

John Griffiths established a whaling station in 1835 and a store was opened in 1839. In 1843, James Atkinson, a Sydney solicitor, purchased land in the town by special survey. He drained the swamps, subdivided and leased the land, and built a harbour on the Moyne River. He named the town "Belfast" after his hometown in Ireland. The post office opened on 1 July 1843 (the post office actually opened in 1837 as "Port Fairy" but was renamed "Belfast" on 1 January 1854 before reverting to the original name on 20 July 1887.)

Agriculture developed in the region, and Belfast became an important transport hub. By 1857 the town had a population of 2,190. In the mid-to-late 19th century, Belfast was one of Australia's largest ports, catering to the whaling industry. In 1887 the town was renamed Port Fairy as a result of an Act of Parliament.

Location

Address:Regent Street, Port Fairy, 3284
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.381234
Long: 142.237708
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Front Inscription

A Tribute To The Pioneers
    Of Port Fairy
WHALERS - SEALERS 
SETTLERS - FISHERMEN
       From 1810
Erected By Rotary Club Of Port Fairy

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design