Historic Bridges of New South Wales - Hillas Creek BridgePrint Page
The Historic Bridges of New South Wales plaque commemorates Australia's bicentenary in 1988.
The bicentenary of Australia was celebrated in 1988. It marked 200 years since the arrival of the First Fleet of British convict ships at Sydney in 1788. The Australian Bicentennial Authority (ABA), pursuant to the Australian Bicentennial Authority Act 1980, was set up to plan, fund and coordinate projects that emphasized the nation's cultural heritage.
Hillas Creek Bridge was opened on 23rd December 1938 as part of the Tumblong - Tarcutta deviation, it carried Hume Highway traffic until 1986, and has become widely known as The Little Sydney Harbour Bridge.
|Address:||Old Hume Highway , Hillas Creek , Tarcutta , 2652|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.177512|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
HISTORIC BRIDGES OF NEW SOUTH WALES
HILLAS CREEK BRIDGE
Only one of two reinforced concrete bowstring arches built on NSW roads (the other is near Maclean), this bridge was cast-in-place using elaborate formwork before the advent of precast units. The deck is supported from the arch ribs by steel hangers encased in concrete. Opened on 23 December 1938 as part of the Tumblong -Tarcutta deviation, it carried Hume Highway traffice until 1986 ... and has become widely known as "The Little Sydney Harbour Bridge".
DMR Erected to celebrate Australia's Bicentenary in 1988 NRMA
by the Department of Main Roads and the
National Roads & Motorists Association (N.R.M. A)