' The Pioneer ' Print Page
Statue commemorates the early settlers who settled in the Singleton area in the 1800s. The statue was given to the people of Singleton by Singleton District artists. The statue is based on the sculptor`s interpretation of pioneer Benjamin Singleton after whom the town was named.
Benjamin Singleton arrived in Sydney on 14th February 1792. On the 5th March 1820, Singleton accompanied John Howe's exploration party, and by the 15th March they had arrived at what was to be known as Patricks Plains.
Singleton was rewarded with a grant of land and he took up residence. By 1823 his family (which was to reach 10 children) had joined him and that same year he was appointed District Constable. In 1836, Benjamin Singleton received the deeds for his 200 acre grant located at the natural ford in the Hunter River - the site known as Singleton.
Other ventures, undertaken by Singleton include erecting an inn, a flour mill, a brewery and a courthouse. In1841 he donated the land where Burdekin Park now stands for use as a market square.
The depression of the 1840's caused Benjamin Singleton to become insolvent. He died on the 3rd May 1853, leaving behind the legacy of Singleton - a town that would continue to grow and posper.
|Address:||Queen Street & Civic Avenue , Singleton Council / Civic Centre, Singleton, 2330|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.558287|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Tanya Bartlett|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 18th July, 2014|
Given to the people of Singleton by
Singleton District Artists.
In recognition of the pioneers who settled
in the area in the early 1800's.
Unveiled 18th July 2014
Sculptor Tanya Bartlett