First Mainland Survey by Colonel William LightPrint Page
|Address:||2 Park Avenue, Second Valley Caravan Park, Second Valley, 5204|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.573695|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||08-September-1836|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1928|
This memorial erected in 1928 by residents commemorates the first mainland survey of Colonel William Light Surveyor-General who landed from his vessel Rapid on September 8th 1835 and surveyed and named this valley.
The stone inscribed W. L. 1836 is a relic of that survey.
Matthew Flinders R. N.
( 1774 - 1814 )
Commander of H.M. Sloop "Investigator" discovered and on 23 March 1802 when on Kangaroo Island named Cape Jervis after John Jervis, Admiral Lord St. Vincent , First Lord of the Admirality.
Unveiled Pioneers Day April 1948.