www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Oakleigh Pioneer Memorial ParkPrint Page Print this page

06-December-2014
06-December-2014

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Sandra Brown
A park commemorates the pioneers of Oakleigh who were buried in the former Oakleigh cemetery. The former cemetery was rededicated as a Memorial Park in 1988. 
 

The former Oakleigh General Cemetery, now known as Oakleigh Pioneer Memorial Park, is located in the heart of a residential and shopping centre. But when first formed from a township reserve, it was bushland.

An Order-in-Council in 1859 set aside ten acres for a cemetery, bounded by what are now Warrigal Road, Atherton Road, Drummond Street and the Oakleigh Recreation Reserve. The first trustees were appointed in 1860: Patrick William Niall, Richard McClure, Charles Nelson, William Head and Robert Glover Benson.

The original layout of the cemetery was based on an elliptical carriageway with a north/south path dividing the Church of England and Roman Catholic denominational compartments. This created a formal centrepiece from which radiating paths separated areas allocated to Wesleyan, Baptist, Presbyterian and Independent denominations.

In 1909 an Order-in-Council discontinued the sale of new grave sites. Threats of closure caused great controversy over many years. Interments continued for holders of burial rights until 1960 when the cemetery was finally closed.

The Council of the City of Oakleigh was appointed as Trustee on 2 May 1961 until, in 1994, the City of Oakleigh was amalgamated to form the City of Monash.

Over the years the original allotment of land for the cemetery has been reduced by the taking of land for such sites as a post office, council chambers, Memorial Hall, baby health centre (now demolished), municipal offices, parks & gardens, road widening, and Recreation Reserve extensions.

The Oakleigh and District Historical Society, founded in 1981, requested protection of the area and Council responded in 1986 by providing for the formation of the (Oakleigh) Pioneer Cemetery Beautification Committee. The committee comprised councillors, municipal officers, local Members of Parliament, interested residents and representatives of the then Health Department of Victoria and the Ministry of Planning & Environment. In 1988 the cemetery was rededicated as a memorial park.

Location

Address:Drummond Street, Oakleigh, 3166
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.897735
Long: 145.088543
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription
Oakleigh Pioneer Memorial Park
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design