www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Herberton Print Page Print this page

24-October-2014
24-October-2014

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

A monument commemorates the centenary of Herberton.

The first European exploration of this area was undertaken in 1875 by James Venture Mulligan. Mulligan was prospecting for gold, but instead found tin. The town of Herberton was established on 19 April 1880 by John Newell to exploit the tin find, and mining began on 9 May.

By the September of that year, Herberton had a population of 300 men and 27 women. Herberton Post Office opened on 22 November 1880.  In December 1881 a State School was established.

Location

Address:William Street, Police Station , Herberton, 4887
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -17.382452
Long: 145.386818
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:1980

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1980
Front Inscription

Herberton Hundred
1980

This stone was set on this site to mark the Centenary of Herberton

This plaque was unveiled by the Honourable R. Camm M.L.A. Minister for Mines, Energy and Police during Centenary celebrations

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design