Chain of PondsPrint Page
A monument commemorates the township and pioneers of Chain of Ponds.
The settlement was established by the South Australia Company. First settled early in the 1840s, the township was laid out after the opening of the North East Road in the 1850s. By this time, the town was reported to include two post office buildings, institute, church, service station, a handful of cottages and the old Morning Star Hotel.
There was also a nearby township called Millbrook, but it was demolished to make way for the Millbrook Reservoir, which was constructed between 1914 and 1918 to control the flow of the upper Torrens River and supply the eastern suburbs of Adelaide from an appropriate elevation. In the 1970s, Chain of Ponds was also demolished to safeguard against water pollution in the reservoir.
|Address:||North East Road, Philptown/ Chain of Ponds Cemetery, Chain of Ponds, 5231|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.823087|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1979|
THIS PLAQUE IS TO COMMEMORATE THE TOWNSHIP OF
CHAIN OF PONDS AND THE PIONEERS OF THE DISTRICT
THE MATERIALS FOR THIS MONUMENT WERE OBTAINED FROM THE DEMOLITION OF THE BIBLE CHRISTIAN CHURCH THAT STOOD ON ADJACENT LAND FOR 117 YEARS