Prince Alfred BridgePrint Page
A plaque erected at Prince Alfred Bridge commemorates the Bicentenary of Australia in 1988.
The bicentenary of Australia was celebrated in 1988. It marked 200 years since the arrival of the First Fleet of British convict ships at Sydney in 1788. 1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. The Australian Bicentennial Authority (ABA) was set up to plan, fund and coordinate projects that emphasized the nation's cultural heritage.
The Prince Alfred Bridge is evidence of the construction of a bridge over the Murrumbidgee River and its extensive floodplain between North and South Gundagai in 1867 and the completion of timber approach spans in 1869. The bridge is thought to be the first iron truss bridge built in NSW and the state's largest road bridge until 1932.
|Address:||Middleton Drive, Gundagai, 2722|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.073339|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
HISTORIC BRIDGES OF NEW SOUTH WALES
PRINCE ALFRED BRIDGE
Over Murrumbidgee River, Gundagai
Opened on 17 October 1867 and named after the visiting Duke of Edinburgh, these Warren truss river spans make this Australia's second oldest metal truss bridge. Girders were imported from England but the 54 pier cylinders (from Fitzroy Iron Works, Mittagong) were the colony`s largest iron castings. The original timber approach viaduct, completed about 1869. was relocated and reconstructed in 1896. it was the State`s largest road bridge until 1932.
Erected to celebrate Australia`s Bicentenary in 1988 by the Department of Main Roads and the National Roads & Motorists` Association (N.R.M.A.)