www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of Free SettlementPrint Page Print this page

04-May-2014
04-May-2014

Photographs supplied by John Huth
A tree commemorates the 150th anniversary of free settlement in Nundah.

The first permanent European settlement in the area was a mission built in 1838 by German Lutheran missionaries, under the guidance of reverend Carl Wilhelm Schmidt and later Reverend Christoph Eipper with the aim of bringing Christianity to the local Aboriginal people. They first called the area 'Zion', and the mission was located in the vicinity of the modern-day street 'Walkers Way'. It later became "German Station" and then 'Nundah', derived from the Aboriginal name for the area.

Location

Address:Hedley Avenue, German Station Park, Nundah, 4012
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.407447
Long: 153.067063
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1838
Approx. Event End Date:1988

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 15th October, 1988
Approx. Monument Dedication Date:
Front Inscription

This Tree Has Been Planted
               By
SIR WILLIAM KNOX,  
Member For Nundah
Commemorating 150 Years Of
Free Settlement In Nundah
15th October 1988

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design