Australian Bicentenary (Inukshuk) Print Page
A 5 metre stone cairn, called an Inukshuk, presented to the Queensland Government by Canada commemorates Australia's bicentenary in 1988.
After Expo 88 the Inukshuk was located outside the entrance of the State Library of Queensland, where it remained for more than 15 years. With extensions to the State Library it was moved to its present location on the pedestrian bridge at Victoria Park in suburban Brisbane. The Inukshuk was re-dedicated by High Commissioner Michael Leir on April 6, 2006.
The Bicentenary marked the 200th anniversary of the arrival of the First Fleet in Sydney in 1788. Captain Arthur Phillip (1738–1814), commander of the First Fleet, established the foundations of a British colony at Sydney Cove on the 26 January 1788.
|Address:||Gregory Terrace , Pedestrian Bridge, Victoria Park, Spring Hill , 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.455614|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||26-January-1788|
|Actual Event End Date:||26-January-1988|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||April-1988|
On the occasion of Expo 88, Brisbane, Queensland, the people of the Northwest Territories, Canada, offer their congratulations to the Commonwealth of Australia on its 200th anniversary of nationhood.
This stone cairn Inukshuk is a symbol of frienship between the peoples of our two countries.
High in the Canadian Arctic, Inuit built stone Inukshuks in the shape of humans to direct herds of migrating Caribou to hunters, and to act as landmarks for travellers.