Cowpastures Memorial Print Page
The Camden District is closely associated with the early history of the colony of New South Wales. Its areas were penetrated by white men as far back as 1795. The story of the loss of the early colony's cattle forms part of the early narrative of New South Wales, as those beasts which strayed from Farm Cove led to the discovery of this locality. Early records show that seven years elapsed before news came to Sydney Cove's little settlement of the whereabouts of these missing stock. Rumours and conflicting accounts of the existence of the cattle reached the ears of convicts, and Governor Hunter despatched a party under Henry Hacking to confirm or deny the reports.
The result of this party's investigation so impressed Governor Hunter that he determined to visit the locality to see the cattle and country for himself. With a small party he left Parramatta on 18th November, 1795. After travelling a few days the explorers crossed the Nepean River at a spot near where the Camden Cowpasture Bridge now stands, and there came across a fine herd of over forty cattle. Arrangemants were made for a more complete survey, and in June the following year, Governor Hunter again visited the retreat of the wild cattle, and journeyed through the locality until he and his party ascended the high hill which obtained the name of Mount Hunter, a landmark by that name today.
The name "Cowpastures" by which the locality became known, is due to Governor Hunter, for he marked it on a map drawn by himself and dated 20th August, 1796.
Note: The date on the memorial for the discovery of the First Fleet cattle is 1895. The correct date is 1795.
|Address:||Davison Lane , Picton, 2571|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.169844|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Joan Brown (sculptor)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2012|
This mural commemorates the early history of our land and pristine waterways, from the Dreamtime beginnings, to the 1895 discovery of the escaped First Fleet wild cattle in this area. These cattle were later destroyed to make way for the pioneering of the district and the introduction of dairy and beef breeds that formed the basis of a wealth agricultural industry. The spirit of our early settlers lives on through the recording of the visual history in this beautiful valley.
BY GIFTED/ TALENTED HISTORY STUDENTS FROM PICTON, CAMDEN SOUTH & MAWARRA SCHOOLS.
M.Armstrong E Bristow T Clipsham H Eriksson S. Esposito L.Greco M. Gordon L. Harley L. Mulley K. Parker P. Reynolds E. Savage C. Wotton N. Young