Centenary of Irrigation SettlementPrint Page
|Address:||Box & Smith Streets, Kenny Park, Merbein, 3505|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.166314|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1909|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2009|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 23rd August, 2009|
Merbein 1909 - 2009
The Centenary of Irrigation Settlement
Merbein was established by the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission of Victoria as a dairy settlement and was initially known as "White Cliffs". By 1912 the settlement changed to citrus and grapes.
The district further expanded witht the soldier settlements of Birdwoodton and Merbein West ( 1917 - 1923), resident S.R.W.S.C. "Officer in Charge"was Mr E. J. (Pat) Kenny.
Merebein : "Queen irrigation settlement of the Souther Hemisphere" S.R.W.S.C. Chairman, Mr Elwood mead.
This plaque was unveiled on 23rd August 2009 in Kenny Park, by Chairpersons :
Leon Wagner, Merebein Centenary Committee
Max Whiting, Merbein District Historical Society