Nyah District CentenaryPrint Page
Time capsule and plaque commemorate the centenary of the Nyah District 1893-1993. The time capsule is to be opened in 2043.
Nyah, on the banks of the Murray River was formed as the "Taverner Community Village Settlement" in the 1890s by Jim Thwaites as a utopian socialist community, one of many established along the Murray, including Waikerie in South Australia. The communities were established in imitation of the New Australia settlement of William Lane in Paraguay. Lack of access to water for fields and a falling-out of favour of socialism led to the end of state support for these communities.
The Post Office opened on 4 May 1894 (though known as Tyntynder for some months).
|Address:||River Street, Recreation Reserve , Nyah, 3594|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.170997|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1893|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1993|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1993|
NYAH DISTRICT CENTENARY
CAPSULE TO BE OPENED OCTOBER 2043