Norseman Town Clock Print Page
The Norseman Town Clock was unveiled in 1994 to commemorate Norseman`s Centenary Year.
The quest for gold led to the establishment of Norseman. Today there are a number of small goldmining operations in the area but only the Central Norseman Gold Corporation can be considered a major producer. Gold was first found in the Norseman area in 1892, about 10 km south of the town, near Dundas. The "Dundas Field" was proclaimed in August 1893 and a townsite gazetted there.
In August 1894, Lawrence Sinclair, his brother George Sinclair, and Jack Alsopp discovered a rich gold reef which Sinclair named after his horse, Hardy Norseman. In January 1895 the mining warden asked the Government to declare a townsite for the 200 or so miners who had arrived. It was gazetted on 22 May.
|Address:||Roberts Street, Norseman , 6443|
|Actual Event STart Date:||1894|
|Actual Event End Date:||1994|
|Monument Designer:||Brand, Deykin & Hay (architects)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 5th August, 1994|
THE PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED AT THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF
THE NORSEMAN TOWN CLOCK
BY HON GEORGE CASH JP, MLC MINISTER FOR MINES ON
5 AUGUST 1994
TO COMMEMORATE NORSEMAN`S CENTENARY YEAR
The Clock structure symbolises a head frame, representing the enormous contribution mining has provided the town over the past 100 years. The stonewall within its landscaping is reminiscent of early goldfields architecture. All the elements in the installation form a tribute to the pioneers who laboured to ensure a better life for future inhabitants of this town and the state.
The structure has been made possible with generous contributions from Central Norseman and Gold Corporation and Samantha Mining.
P.W. Brown Shire President
L.A. Gilbert Shire Clerk
Brand Deykin & Hay Architects