www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneer MemorialPrint Page Print this page

18-April-2014
18-April-2014

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

A monument commemorates the pioneers of Tumby Bay District.

The bay was first explored and given the name Tumby Bay by Captain Matthew Flinders in 1802, after a parish in Lincolnshire, England. In 1840 Governor Gawler renamed the bay Harvey('s) Bay after one other district's early settlers.Then on 15 November 1900 the town of Tumby was proclaimed by Governor Tennyson, and the name of the bay itself reverted to Tumby Bay. On 14 June 1984 the town officially became known as Tumby Bay.

The earliest settlers to the district arrived in the 1840s, and farmed the area with wheat and sheep predominantly. The town soon grew into an important grain storage and loading point, with a jetty constructed in 1874, only the second to be built on the Eyre Peninsula. This provided a much needed outlet for the copper ore which was coming from the Burrowing Mine. The town's first school was opened in 1881 as 'Tumby', and the district's first hospital opened in 1913.

 

Location

Address:Tumby Terrace, Tumby Bay, 5605
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.377028
Long: 136.103318
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 25th August, 1978
Front Inscription

To commemorate the pioneers of the Tumby Bay District

Donated by C. A. Darling
1978

This memorial was unveiled by Cr. Ivy. K. Freeman and Allan C. McNamara Esq on 25th August 1978

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design