Coolgardie PioneersPrint Page
Memorial in the shape of a cross embedded in a cairn of stones erected in memory of the pioneers who blazed the track between 1892 and 1894.
The town was founded in 1892, when gold was discovered in the area. Australia had seen several major gold rushes over the previous three decades, mostly centred on the east coast, but these had mostly been exhausted by the 1890s. With the discovery of a new goldfield, an entire new gold rush began, with thousands flocking to the area. By 1898, Coolgardie was the third largest town in the colony, with an estimated population of over 5000. At its peak, 700 mining companies based in Coolgardie were registered with the London Stock Exchange.
|Address:||Forrest Street, Coolgardie Pioneer Cemetery , Coolgardie, 6429|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.950019|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
THE MEMORY OF THE EARLY
THE MEN WHO BLAZED THE TRACK