National Wool MuseumPrint Page Print this page

Wool Museum Plaque : March 2014
Wool Museum Plaque : March 2014

Photographs supplied by Nancy Alford

A plaque commemorates the opening of The National Wool Centre to commemorate the bicentenary of Australia in 1988.

The bicentenary of Australia was celebrated in 1988. It marked 200 years since the arrival of the First Fleet of British convict ships at Sydney in 1788.

Since the arrival of sheep with the First Fleet in 1788, the wool industry has dominated our economy, our agriculture and our reputation as a quality wool-growing nation throughout the world. Geelong is a city synonymous with wool and the wool industry – sheep farming began here in 1835 and the first of many woollen mills opened here in 1868. For many years the city was known as the 'wool centre of the world'. Two hundred years later, in 1988, the National Wool Museum was established as Australia’s only comprehensive museum of wool.


Address:26 - 32 Moorabool Street, Geelong, 3220
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.145433
Long: 144.361166
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:1788
Actual Event End Date:1988


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 21st December, 1988
Front Inscription

THE NATIONAL WOOL CENTRE was officially opened by the Premier of Victoria The Hon. John Cain M.P. on
21st December 1988
a Bicentennial Commemorative Program funded by the Commonwealth & Victorian Governments and the Geelong Regional Commission
A Geelong Regional Commission Project
Colin K Atkins Chairman


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design