Shire of Woorayl Centenary Park Print Page
Europeans first moved into the area in 1845 and settlers began to clear the huge mountain ash trees from the environment in the 1870s. Dairying became important in the area in the 1880s. It received a considerable boost with the exporting opportunities provided by the arrival of the railway in 1891.
|Address:||South Gippsland Highway & Strzelecki Highway, Leongatha, 3953|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.475759|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||1888|
|Actual Event End Date:||1988|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 28th May, 1988|
SHIRE OF WOORAYL
1888 - 1988
THIS PARK WAS PLANTED BY RESIDENTS OF THE SHIRE OF WOORAYL ON 28TH MAY, 1988 TO COMMEMORATE ITS FIRST CENTENARY. LEONGATHA TOWNSHIP WAS LAID OUT BY THE GOVERNMENT SURVEYOR JOHN LARDNER DURING 1888 AND THIS SITE WAS THEN RESERVED AS STOCKYARDS FOR CATTLE, SHEEP AND PIGS TRANSPORTED BY RAIL. THE STOCKYARDS WERE FIRST BUILT IN 1891, USED CONTINUALLY UNTIL 1970 AND THEN FINALLY DEMOLISHED IN 1987. IT WAS THROUGH THESE YARDS THAT A GREAT PROPORTION OF THE DISTRICT’S WEALTH WAS GAINED AND FROM WHICH MOST OF THE BUSINESS PREMISES OF LEONGATHA DERIVED THEIR INCOME.