150 years of SettlementPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth
Entrance gates at the sports ground commemorate the Sesquicentennial year of settlement at Hobart in Tasmania.

The first settlement was by the British at Risdon Cove on the eastern bank of the Derwent estuary in 1803, by a small party sent from Sydney, under Lt. John Bowen. An alternative settlement was established by Capt. David Collins 5 km to the south in 1804 in Sullivans Cove on the western side of the Derwent, where fresh water was more plentiful. The latter settlement became known as Hobart Town, later shortened to Hobart, after the British Colonial Secretary of the time, Lord Hobart. The settlement at Risdon was later abandoned.


Address:Franklin Street, Sports Ground, Westbury, 7303
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.527248
Long: 146.835139
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1804
Approx. Event End Date:1954


Front Inscription

This entrance was erected by the citizens of Westbury to commemorate the Sesquicentennial year

1804 - 1954

C. R. Ingamells Warden.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design