City of Clarence ProclamationPrint Page
Monument commemorates the proclamation of the City of Clarence in November 1988.
The City of Clarence is a city and local government area in Tasmania, Australia. Along with Hobart and Glenorchy, Clarence is one of the three cities that constitute the Greater Hobart Area. The administrative centre of Clarence at Rosny Park is approximately 5 kilometres from the CBD of Hobart. In the 1970s and 1980s the expansion of the Municipality of Clarence continued. Many previously rural areas developed into residential areas. New suburbs arose, such as Flagstaff Gully, Geilston Bay, and Old Beach to the north, and Cremorne, Howrah, Lauderdale, Rokeby, and Tranmere towards the south of the city. At the same time, Rosny Park continued to grow in importance as the administrative centre of the city.
The growth was such that the municipality was officially incorporated as a city on 24 November 1988, with the population having grown beyond 50,000. In 1993, the nearby town of Richmond was absorbed into the city of Clarence.
|Address:||38 Bligh Street, Council Chambers, Rosny Park, 7018|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.864537|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
City of Clarence
First settled 8 September 1803
Proclaimed a Municipality 5 October 1860
Proclaimed a city 24 November 1988