Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - Coogee Tram TerminusPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of the Coogee Tram service. 1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.
In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.
The success of tram services to Moore Park and Randwick Racecourse prompted a public meeting to be held at the Randwick Council Chamber on September 20 1880 to urge the government to continue with the extension of the line to Randwick and Coogee Beach. Following the completion of the next section in March 1881, regular services commenced on Saturday March 19 1881.
|Address:||Dolphin Street, Coogee, 2034|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.918955|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 – 1988
"Coogee Tram Terminus"
Regular Sydney Tram Network Steam services from city to Coogee Beach commenced January 25 1883. Services converted to electric November 1902. Last tram service Sunday October 23 1960.
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.