Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - Streetscape 48-66 St Marks RoadPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of the dwellings.
1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.
In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.
|Address:||48-66 St Marks Road, Randwick , 2031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.911403|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 – 1988
Streetscape 48-66 St Marks Road
Buildings nos. 48-66 dating from late 19th century, erected on land originally part of St Marks Glebe Estate, bear testimony to the gracious lifestyle of early Randwick.
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.