Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - St Judes FountainPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of the fountain.
1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.
In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.
St. Jude's Fountain, Randwick.— A ceremony on the opening of this fountain took place on the 9th instant. The fountain is an elegant stone structure, situated near the summit of the hill as you approach Randwick by the road from Sydney, and it stands near the intersection of Allison and Church streets. It has three basins, which are filled with streams of water by means of jets from the interior of the fountain communicating with a spring, which affords an abundant and permanent supply. On the stone work above the basin, the following inscription is carved— "Thou visitest the earth and waterest it ; thou waterest the ridges thereof abundantly. Psalm ixv. 9-10 v." The face of the upper portion of the sructure is ornamented with wreaths of fruit and foliage, and the whole is surmounted by a stone vase. The inscription "St. Jude's Fountain, erected 1866," encircles the pedestal of the vase.
Sydney Mail (NSW), 17 November 1866.
|Address:||Alison Road & Church Street, Randwick, 2031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.912438|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||26-January-1788|
|Actual Event End Date:||26-January-1988|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 – 1988
"St Jude's Fountain"
Designed and executed by Walter McGill in 1866 over spring which supplied water for use of residents and horses.
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.
Engraving on fountain :
”THOU VISITEST THE EARTH AND WATEREST IT. THOU WATEREST THE RIDGES THEREOF ABUNDANTLY"
St Jude's Fountain Erected 1866"